History of the Jégverem Building

For many years, the existence of the city’s ice-pit (“jégverem”) was only recorded in oral traditions. According to city records, the city had been selling ice since 1749. Later, a butcher’s shop and fire station was built over the city’s ice-pit. This simple building burned to the ground in 1837. The building was rebuilt the very same year, based on the plans of Márton Hasenauer. The pit itself was dug into the side of the Saint Michael’s hill. Its pear-shaped interior was finished with cut stones. It had a small entryway facing north. The pit was lined with reeds and straw and in the dead of winter it was filled with ice brought from Lake Fertő. Initially, it had a ceiling made of wooden beams, but later a brick ceiling was built over the pit.

After the manufacturing of artificial ice began, the pit lost its function and it was walled up. This interesting historical building was listed as a protected historical monument by the National Historical Preservation Authorities in 1987; the ice-pit and the building above it were renovated on the initiative of the Győr-Sopron County Animal Trading and Meat Industry Enterprise by the Győr County Construction Enterprise, based on the plans of the Győr-Sopron County Council Planning Enterprise during the same year.

Since 1999 it has housed the Jégverem Inn, where you’re certain to leave well-fed.

Civitas Hotel Soproni Borház Voltszállás Jégverem Fogadó Palatinus Szálló Palatinus Group